I like the sweet richness of gammon, but the thought of crispy pork crackling on Christmas day beats that hands down, especially considering the sweet desserts that you will be looking forward to.
So, to make something that is South African, Summery and STILL “Christmasy”. I thought that a Cherry & Citrus Chutney to go WITH the pork would keep things easy, and special at the same time. This would go really well with turkey too, and you can substitute the sour cherries with cranberries if you like (It would give a thicker consistency, more like a chutney, because of the high pectin content).
- 150g Sour Cherries (I use frozen)
- 100g Clemongold segments, or half an orange
- 25g Dried cranberries
- 35g Honey
- 120ml Orange Juice (or Clemengold, if you can get it!)
- 3Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1tsp Ginger (Ground)
- A pinch of Allspice (Ground)
- 1/2 Stick Cinnamon
- 1 Small Onion (120g) – Diced
- 1 Apple, peeled & chopped
- Add the cherries, citrus, cranberries, honey, juice, and apple cider vinegar together, and simmer on a medium heat for about 10-15 minutes.
- then add the rest of the ingredients, and bring to boil.
- Simmer for 30 – 40 minutes, or until at the desired consistency.
Using cranberries results in a thicker chutney, and you may want to double the honey content.
Succulent and Crispy Roast Pork
Juicy Turkey with Veggie Gravy (Paleo)